Monday, March 24, 2014

The Reality: A Random Smattering

A series of things loosely based on a message I sent to my friend Anna last week.

  • Spring break in Wales was one of the top 2 greatest experiences of my life
  • I feel closer to everyone in my house all of a sudden
  • I started riding my bike again after almost two months of only walking
  • Stonehenge really is just a big pile of rocks
  • But an impressive pile of rocks
  • I've woken up before 9am almost every day the past week and a half
  • And I'm happy about it
  • The staff and other speakers have made history more interesting than it ever was before
  • I climbed a cathedral tower with 332 steps
  • It's been in the 50s almost every day for the past few weeks
  • And the sun's been out
  • Prawn cocktail (aka shrimp cocktail) Pringles are really good
  • I ate half a jar of peanut butter for lunch yesterday and learned a lot about my life
  • Making myself feel better about stuff doesn't always mean sitting alone and crying
  • But it also doesn't always mean forcing myself to socialize and get plenty of exercise
  • I'm really bad at judging the size of international stamps when writing postcards
  • Adult things are stressful
  • But they don't have to be
  • One thing at a time, right?
  • Oliver Cromwell disapproved of the Magna Carta and instead called it the "Magna Farta"
  • Actually a large majority of historical figures had senses of humor and/or did stupid things that are extremely amusing
  • There is pen all over my hands for the first time in a long time because let me tell you ink does not dry quickly when applied to the backs of postcards
  • Online groceries are a godsend
  • I am about to read a lot of books in a very short amount of time
  • The British education system is wonderful but I miss having month-long (or more) warnings for my paper prompts
  • And only writing papers with a small number of short sources
  • And only having to walk 2 minutes to class instead of biking 15+ or walking 40+
  • I miss restaurants and stores that are open past 6pm
  • I miss Taco Bell
  • I miss living in the Eastern time zone
  • I miss driving
  • I miss reading books for fun
  • I miss the rest of my wardrobe
  • I miss having a roommate
  • Especially one who manages to ruin my life in a good way
  • I miss not being surprised by the conversion rates when I check my bank balance
  • But soon I'm going to miss living in a house with 30+ other people
  • I'm going to miss morning and afternoon tea
  • I'm going to miss late nights in the kitchen talking about life
  • I'm going to miss the staff and tutors and JDs and other Oxfordians that have taken such good care of us
  • I'm going to miss large group meals and fumbling through recipes we found online
  • I'm going to miss having dozens of heavy coins in my wallet that add up to almost $20
  • Okay that was a joke
  • I can't wait to get back to mostly paper money
  • I'm going to miss the insane library system
  • I'm going to miss the sight of a crowded Cornmarket Street
  • I'm going to miss my daily passing of buildings older than America
  • I'm going to miss Oxford and all these wonderful people
  • When the time comes I know I'll be ready to go
  • Ready to see family and friends again
  • But right now I have a book to read, a paper to write, and groceries on the way
  • I hope you all have a wonderful week

No comments:

Post a Comment